Thread Storm: The Silksong Skill I Almost Missed
Missed Hollow Knight Silksong’s Thread Storm in Pharloom? This AoE silk attack shreds crowds—grab it in east Greymoor.
Listen, I’m a seasoned bug hunter. I’ve dodged, pogoed, and silk-dashed my way through countless metroidvanias. But Hollow Knight: Silksong? It humbled me. Not because of its bosses (okay, maybe a little), but because I spent roughly 20 hours wandering Pharloom before realizing I had completely missed one of Hornet’s most satisfying abilities: the Thread Storm. ![]()
I had just defeated Moorwing in Greymoor—back before the difficulty nerfs, mind you—and my ego was soaring. I was ready to charge into the next area, blissfully unaware that the east side of Greymoor held a secret so deliciously violent that it would become my favorite offensive tool in the entire game. Instead, I got sidetracked by shiny new zones and forgot to check my map. Classic me. So if you’re reading this in 2026 and you’ve also been sleeping on the Thread Storm, pull up a chair. We need to talk.
The Thread Storm: A Love Letter to AoE Carnage
Getting the Thread Storm isn’t exactly a walk in the park. It requires clearing out a bunch of crow-like bugs infesting the east side of Greymoor, followed by some well-timed pogo parkour. Yes, pogo parkour. The kind that makes you question your reflexes and your life choices. But once you snag it, oh boy. This AoE silk attack unleashes a flurry of whip-like slashes in a radius around Hornet. It’s like a tornado of pain, and I am here for it.
Is it the most efficient tool in Hornet’s arsenal? Probably not. But is it the most satisfying? Absolutely. There’s something primal about spinning around and shredding a cluster of enemies that thought they could gang up on you. The Thread Storm doesn’t just clear the room—it sends a message. And the best part? Repeatedly pressing the skill button extends the duration at no extra cost. You can keep the party going until your silk runs dry or your fingers cramp. Just be aware that after the initial stun wears off, you’re left wide open to retaliation. Risk versus reward, baby.
Thread Storm vs. Silkspear: A Quick Comparison
Feature
Thread Storm
Silkspear
Damage type
AoE, multi-hit
Single-target, piercing
Crowd control
Excellent
Limited
Silk cost
Moderate
Low
Extendable
Yes (button mashing)
No
Cool factor
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
As you can see, the Thread Storm wins on style points alone. But it’s not just about looking cool. When paired with Hornet’s tools—like AoE poison attacks or ranged traps—you can create deadly combos that melt enemies trying to avoid your silk attack. I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve trapped a group of bugs, popped a poison cloud, and then spun to win. It’s a beautiful symphony of destruction.
Pharloom: A Metroidvania Playground of Secrets
Now, I know Silksong caught some flak early on for not rewarding players enough through boss charms or discoverable items. But let me tell you, the mid-to-late game more than makes up for it. Pharloom is absolutely overflowing with content. There are tools, crests, and secret paths everywhere. It’s almost overwhelming—in the best way. The game takes its metroidvania inspirations and runs with them, thriving on backtracking and rewarding player creativity.
Take Shakra’s purchasable waypoints, for example. They’re a godsend. They remind you to return later with the right skills. But here’s the thing: if you’re like me and you miss something as crucial as the Thread Storm or an additional Crest slot, you’ll kick yourself. I spent hours wandering around, wondering why certain fights felt harder than they should. Then I realized I had been ignoring a whole section of Greymoor. Facepalm. ![]()
So here’s my advice: leave no stone unturned. If you see a suspicious ledge, pogo up there. If you hear a faint sound, investigate. If a map area looks empty, it’s probably hiding something. The game rewards curiosity just as much as combat skill. And with the 2026 updates and community discoveries, there’s no excuse to miss out.
Backtracking: The Art of Feeling Dumb and Then Smart
Backtracking in Silksong is a double-edged sword. On one hand, it’s tedious. On the other hand, it’s incredibly satisfying when you finally unlock that ability you needed to reach a secret area. I’ve had moments where I felt like a genius for remembering a random ledge I couldn’t reach 15 hours ag